Zen training experience
The Shinshōji International Zen Training Hall is a place, where common people of any nationality or religion can experience the balanced spiritual training of a monastery in the Rinzai Zen tradition.
Head of Zen Training Hall
Yūshū Haga (Head priest of Myōkōji)
By staying overnight you can make a deeper Zen experience.
first Monday of the month
second Friday of the month
third Monday of the month
fourth Friday of the month
- 【Things you should bring to the retreat】
- sleepwear, toiletries etc., comfortable clothes for zazen (no skirts please)
- 【How to book】
- You can make a booking by phone or fax at the latest 1 day before. The maximum number is 14 people. You can cancel your reservation at the latest 1 day before by phone. It can happen that a booking is not possible because of other events here.
- 【Points to keep in mind】
It can happen that a booking is not possible because of other events here.
Please inquire in advance.
You can cancel your reservation at the latest 1 day before by phone.
Heart Sutra：the most important sutra in Buddhism.
The Five Meal Contemplations：verses recited before meals in the Zen sect. For monks one of the ritual aspects of meals.
Sutra Copying：in Buddhism, there is the practice of copying sutras by hand.
：the most important sutra in Buddhism
The Five Meal Contemplations
：verses recited before meals in the Zen sect. For monks one of the ritual aspects of meals
：in Buddhism, there is the practice of copying sutras by hand
This meditation hall was originally built 250 years ago in Kenchōji, a training monastery in Kamakura.
The Hondō and Kuri belonged originally to Sainenji, a temple in the north of Kyūshū. In 1965, when Shinshōji was founded, these structures were moved and rebuilt here.
【Points to keep in mind】
- ・Behavior judged by the head of the training hall or the monk in charge to be disruptive to the community may result in immediate dismissal from the training hall.
- ・The regulations follow the rules of the training monasteries in the Rinzai Zen tradition.
- ・Shinshōji is not responsible for accidents or illness, so please exercise due care during your stay.
- ・In case of damages due to rough handling a compensation has to be paid.
- ・The meals are prepared by all participants together and the food might not be completely vegetarian.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old (no high school students). If you have an allergy or other health problems, please inform us with the application.
- Q:Is it possible that a whole family participate?
- A:It is not possible if the children are younger than 18 years.
- Q:Can I pay with a card?
- A:We are sorry, but the payment can only be done with cash.
- Q:Can I come later after work, around 18:00 o’clock?
- A:It is not possible to enter, when the retreat already started.
91,Kamisanna, Numakuma-chō, Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima-ken 720-0401 JapanFree shuttle bus(only on weekdays)：
Leave Fukuyama Station at the north exit, enter the Showa onsen shuttle bus and get off at 「Shinshōji」
> bus stop
Tomotetsu bus (direct bus, only weekend and holidays)
Fukuyama station, bus terminal, bus stop #6, enter a bus heading for 「Chitosebashi」,「Abuto」,「Tsuneishi」or「Utsuminyōkyō」and get off at 「Shinshōji」
Tomotetsu bus (regular bus)
Fukuyama station, bus terminal, bus stop #6, enter a bus heading for 「Chitosebashi」,「Abuto」,「Tsuneishi」or「Utsuminyōkyō」and get off at 「Tenjinyama」. From there it is 15 minutes to walk.(We can pick you up at the 「Tenjinyama」bus stop. Please call us.)
Sanyō Shinkansen (Bullet Train), Sanyō Main Line: 30 minutes by Tomotetsu Bus
25 minutes from Fukuyama Station by car.