Shinshō-ji

  • Site Map

Phone inquiries 084-988-1111(temple office)

    Menu Set of matcha (green tea)
    Open 10:00-16:00

    Shūro-ken is a tea ceremony room that replicates the Omotesenke school teahouses Zangetsu-tei, Fushin-an and their garden, which were destroyed in the Great Fire of Tenmei (March 7, 1788). It was designed by Nakamura Masao based on ancient design plans.
    While after the Great Fire of Tenmei the style of Omotesenke school buildings and gardens changed, Hori-no-uchi Fushikisai had recorded their form in detail before the fire. Furthermore, other documentation of their overall layouts and tea ceremony rooms remain with us today. Shūro-ken could be constructed faithfully based on this extant information.
    The name Shūro-ken was given by Takeda Ekijū, the founder of Shinshō-ji and former superintendent priest of the Kennin-ji school. It is based on the name of the founding patron and his wife.
    In Shūro-ken, there is the Rikyū-dō that enshrines Sen no Rikyū, the founder of tea ceremony.

    The architect Nakamura reconstructed with this pavilion the so-called one-and-a-half mat tea room which was built by Sen no Rikyū inside the Juraku residence in Kyōto in his old age.

    Rikyū mentioned that Toyotomi, Hideyoshi didn't like it and so he changed it to the size of two tatami mats. Though there were hardly any information left about the original room, it is inferred that the one-and-a-half mat tea house, built by the third successor Sōtan, was a faithful reproduction of the original.

    This teahouse is in the precincts of Mumyō-in the only building in the sukiya style and has a small room of four and a half tatamis, a large room of ten and a half tatamis and a kitchen. Upstairs is an artelier built for the founder Kambara Hideo who loved drawings very much.

    The garden was designed by Nakane Kinsaku. It has a different flavor than the Japanese dry garden in front of Mumyō-in. Between the garden and the building lies a bamboo fence called the Kennin-ji Fence. The building's walls are covered with Japanese cypress, creating a relaxed wabi-sabi atmosphere to enjoy tea in peace.

    お問合わせ・お申込み

    Graveyard contact

    Contact Shinshō-ji International Zen Training Hall here

    Access

    Click here for a map

    91,Kamisanna, Numakuma-chō, Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima-ken 720-0401 JapanFree shuttle bus(only on weekdays):
    Leave Fukuyama Station at the north exit, enter the Showa onsen shuttle bus and get off at 「Shinshōji」
    > Timetable
    > bus stop

    Tomotetsu bus (direct bus, only weekend and holidays)
    Fukuyama station, bus terminal, bus stop #6, enter a bus heading for 「Chitosebashi」,「Abuto」,「Tsuneishi」or「Utsuminyōkyō」and get off at 「Shinshōji」
    > Timetable

    Tomotetsu bus (regular bus)
    Fukuyama station, bus terminal, bus stop #6, enter a bus heading for 「Chitosebashi」,「Abuto」,「Tsuneishi」or「Utsuminyōkyō」and get off at 「Tenjinyama」. From there it is 15 minutes to walk.(We can pick you up at the 「Tenjinyama」bus stop. Please call us.)
    > Timetable

    Sanyō Shinkansen (Bullet Train), Sanyō Main Line: 30 minutes by Tomotetsu Bus
    25 minutes from Fukuyama Station by car.

    Experiences and Relaxation

    Gokan-dō (Shinshō-ji udon)

    Information on the origins of and the way of eating Shinshō-ji udon.

    Gankū-in (Café)

    Enjoy green tea in an over 400 year-old thatched roof building moved to its present location from Eigen-ji.

    Bathhouse

    The bathhouse is one of the seven regular buildings of a traditional Zen temple. Visitors may take a bath there.

    About the admission fee

    About Shinshō-ji

    Shinshōji Zen Temple overview
    Introduction to Shinshōji Zen Temple (Rinzai sect Kennin-ji school)

    Temple office information
    Information on the Temple Office, designed by architect Fujimori Terunobu.

    Hibutsu-dō information
    An overview of the hall and how to use it.

    Shōshintei (Garden of the Appreciating Heart) information
    Information on Shinshō-ji's garden Shōshintei.